Discovery Playtown is seeking an assistant manager/program coordinator with weekday daytime availability. Do you love working with children and helping them learn through play? Do you have experience with event planning and/or educational programming, as well as managing operations and customer service in a fast-paced retail environment?
What's the job?
- Work closely with management and owners to achieve operational and revenue goals
- Management of store operations during your shift, including supervision of employees, management of front desk and playspace, and coordination and control of scheduled parties and other events
- Direct, motivate, and encourage team members to stay focused on the job and maintain a high level of performance
- Proactively inspect the facility and take initiative to address needs, such as areas in need of cleaning, broken toys or exhibits requiring repair
- Direct the daily, deep-clean, and closing cleaning tasks, taking responsibility for inspecting and ensuring the results meet our high standards of cleanliness
- Set the tone for enthusiastic, positive, and energetic customer service, leading by example while constantly mentoring and encouraging team members
- Point-of-sale transaction overrides, refunds, and troubleshooting
- Conceive, plan and execute educational programs, classes, and other events to draw customers to the facility on specific dates
- Work with the preschool staff to share ideas, equipment and materials, and support the preschool with programs that promote it, such as "Mommy and Me" classes
- Design, write and keep updated a monthly calendar
- Promote our programming in the community, to daycares, moms groups, churches, and other preschools, keeping our calendar full with field trip visits
- Meet with the other managers and owners weekly to brainstorm, plan, and prepare for all seasonal and other special events
What are the qualifications?
First and foremost, we are seeking someone who feels as passionately as we do about our business and what we will offer children and their families in our community. Preferred qualifications include:
- You have worked with children in a daycare, preschool, or elementary school role, as a teacher or assistant
- You have successfully managed employees in a customer-facing retail or service setting
- You have previous experience with event planning, educational programming, and marketing in the community
- You have earned a degree in early childhood or elementary education in addition to or in lieu of the above experience
- You are organized, motivated to succeed, and a self-starter
- You can bring enthusiasm, passion, energy, and ideas to our business
What are the requirements?
- You must consent to, and pass, a background check
- You must show current certification of first aid and CPR training, or complete classes within 30 days of employment
What's the schedule?
Regular weekday daytime shifts, generally 8:30am to 3:30pm Monday-Friday but hours are flexible. 30-35 hours per week to start, with the possibility to go full-time at a later date.
What does it pay?
The assistant manager role starts at $14/hour and increases to $15/hour after 90 days. The Program Coordinator role adds an additional hourly amount to all hours worked which will be determined by the successful applicant's qualifications as well as effectiveness at achieving the job objectives. Finally, participation in a tip pool is included. (See the main Employment article for details.)
Are there benefits?
No health benefits are offered. Paid sick leave will begin to accrue in January, 2018. Perks include unlimited admission for the employee's children, buddy passes, and discounts on parties and events.
More questions before you apply?
Sounds awesome and you're sold?