Discovery Playtown is a DCYF-licensed child care facility serving ages 1 to 6 with a capacity of 62 children in toddler, preschool, and pre-Kindergarten classrooms. Our open concept center features a unique layout, much like a children's museum, complete with a kid-size, realistic two-story playhouse, loft treehouse, diner, animal hospital, grocery store with post office, beauty salon, and fire truck. And our outdoor area includes a play roadway for ride-on toys, playhouses, picnic tables, and gardening areas. Our focus is on engaged play experiences and social-emotional learning with a trauma-informed lens. We have a high focus on staff training in promoting first relationships and collaborative care via open communications with our families. We strive to build a relational bridge between home and school with attachment, safety, and security for our students and peace of mind for our families.
Would you like to work in a smaller child care center with more collaboration and connection with staff? Discovery Playtown is searching for early childhood educators who are passionate about guiding social and emotional learning with a trauma-informed lens.
You will work with the director and program supervisor to assist in the design and implementation of a developmentally-appropriate curriculum and work collaboratively to maintain positive relationships with parents, children and co-workers. We utilize Ages and Stages Questionnaires (ASQ), Second Step, and Handwriting Without Tears.
Weekly paid planning time is provided, along with coaching and assistance to meet and maintain continuing education and other licensing requirements.
Responsibilities include: Writing and teaching lesson plans, engaging children in age-appropriate activities, providing a structured environment, and completing basic housekeeping tasks within the classroom.
- Are you passionate about early childhood education and development? Do you have experience working in a licensed daycare, preschool, or elementary school role, as an ECE teacher or assistant, or are you studying for a career in early childhood education and development or ICMH?
- Are you interested in working in a fast-paced, fun atmosphere, working with a team of dedicated educators to teach, guide, inspire, and enrich children in our care in meeting developmental milestones?
- Can you diffuse and resolve conflicts, problem solve and redirect behaviors, and engage and connect with children?
- Do you enjoy creative lesson planning, and coming up with special events and activities? Have you had experience following a boxed curriculum that is academically sound and used center-wide?
- Are you committed to safety and cleanliness, and are you willing and able to perform daily routine and deep cleaning center-wide?
- Are you dependable and punctual with your time?
- Are you reliable and consistent with team and classroom commitments?
- Ability to engage children with a focus on individualized lesson plans to meet each child’s developmental stages
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds
- Strong written and oral communication skills
The following are required at time of employment:
- An account in MERIT with an active STARS ID number
- A cleared portable background check with DCYF
- Current CPR card, first aid card, BBP card, negative TB test, proof of MMR vaccine
- 30 basic Washington STARS credits (required), CDA or ECE certificate (preferred), or AA/BA in ECE or related field (preferred)
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive pay range with raises based on your continued education and experience
- Staff training meetings and closed in-service days
- Reflective team-building meetings
- Paid weekly planning time
- Discounted child care
- Paid holidays and sick time
- Child Care Aware, Early Achievers and Impact continuing education program coaching
- Small, fun, happy, and family-like environment - we are not a big, corporate child care center